CraterStats Compatibility

Hello,

Is there any way to export crater information as a file that is compatible with craterstats? There is an old informational sheet that explains how to do it, except it specifically states that at that time JMARS couldn't export as a diam file.

Hello,

According to the developers of Craterstats they added support for JMARS crater count .csv files in 2014. I have not tried this technique, but if it works for you please let us know. The technique below is taken from the Craterstats readme.txt file...

To use JMARS output, you need to export a crater list as a CSV file, and the bounding area as a shape file (which produces a set of 3 files). All of these files should share the same name, differing only by their extensions, e.g.

cratercount.csv
    cratercount.polygon.shp
    cratercount.polygon.dbf
    cratercount.polygon.shx

and be placed in the same directory. In craterstats, when you select the csv file as a data source, the others will be picked up automatically. If you make a randomness analysis, craterstats will create an additional file with the extension _geom.txt which contains the *assumed* radial axes for Mars (not exported by JMARS). If you are using JMARS for a crater count not on Mars, you must edit these appropriately.

One other thing, some JMARS users have experienced issues with the above procedure. They resolved their issues by creating a .diam file and manually inputting the JMARS crater diameter data with respect to the custom shape area.

I hope this helps...

I've been able to open the file in Craterstats using the advice from you, but it does not appear on the graph correctly. I'm going to confer with the tech department here, but I'll get back to you if I find a solution.
    Thank you for your time.

Do you know how they have been creating a diam file? The procedure using notepad to create a .diam has not worked for me.
    Thank you.

I will see if I can find out.

Sorry for taking sooo long to get back to this thread. If anyone is still following this thread, it seems the need for a *.diam file is version dependent as in earlier versions. Sorry I don't have a specific version that delineates which versions need a *.diam...

As far as I can tell, if you have a version that needs a *.diam file, the format should look as follows for all versions of Craterstats (the sample *.diam in the current version of Craterstats states older *.diam formats will still work in the newer version. I have not confirmed this...):

#Model .diam file for Craterstats
    #
    Area = 110.824

#
    #diameter, km